What tenants need to know about damp and condensation in their rented home and their legal rights

What if I have condensation in my home?

If you notice moisture in your rented home your landlord might tell you the property suffers from condensation, and if that’s true it could be your job to deal with it. Ordinarily you will have a responsibility to prevent condensation in your property by keeping it properly maintained and well ventilated. However, if condensation is caused by something that is your landlord’s responsibility, such as a faulty extractor fan or gaps around the windows that are allowing water to enter, then it is their role to resolve it.

How can I tell if I have damp in my property and who is responsible for fixing it?

There are two main types of damp, and both are your landlord’s responsibility.

– Do you have damp or mould which is present around the skirting boards? This is a tell-tale sign that you might have rising damp. The floors might be wet or feel damp to the touch. This is common with houses as opposed to high-rise flats. Rising damp  can cause mould.

– Do you have a leak in the property causing water penetration? This might be allowing moisture to build up on the walls causing damp and water damage, what’s known as penetrating damp. This often looks more like water staining.

– Is the guttering to the exterior of the property working properly? Is the brickwork outside in a good condition? If not, this might also be contributing to penetrating damp.

What should I do if think there is damp in my property?

If you have reported the damp to your landlord and they have failed to act, we are more than happy to listen to your concerns and should be able to help you resolve this issue. We can advise if legal action is necessary. Contact us either by phone on 0845 450 6135 or by filling in the enquiry form below and we can talk you through the next steps.

Stephanie Miers
Consultant Solicitor

We’re an award-winning law firm

Scroll to Top